CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 13, 2009

Thank you God for who I am ...I don't have to be a superman!

I haven't posted in some time because, quite frankly, I feel that the air has been sucked right out of me. I feel like I don't know where to begin. I feel sad. One of my third grade students lost his father to cancer last week. He battled cancer for two years. My student's mother is one of the strongest women I have ever met. She is now raising a nine and a six year old on her own. I went to the service last week and just felt overwhelmed with sadness for her and the kids. They are strong. Strong in faith, strong in family, strong in character. My other students made cards for him. One of the sweetest things on earth are the words of children. I cried even as I read through their cards. I know my student will hold them dear for a long time. I wish I could "fix" this for him. That is what I do as a teacher. I solve problems, fix situations, make things better. That's what I do as a mom. He knows that his dad went to heaven and that our time on this earth is a temporary life. The true life comes once we die. Such faith at 9 years old. Amazing.

As these events all unfolded last week, it quickly put my life into perspective.All of those little things I am always complaining about quickly seemed so unimportant. We have jobs. My husband and I have eachother. We have our health. I have spent too much time sweating the small stuff in my life. Which takes me to my next point. I of course did not go to the dentist for such a long time due to being pregnant and nursing children (my "acceptable" excuse) that I then needed a root canal. I raced to the dentist on Tuesday to be referred to an oral surgeon on Friday, today. On Thursday I raced to the ObGyn for a year check-up to find out that I need to now go and have an ultrasound on my breast. Also to find out that shocking as it may be~I am suffering from anxiety. I had no idea...not!!!! My goodness of course I am anxious about life. I don't sleep well so now will be taking sleeping pills. How can I not be tired? Seriously...working, kids, groceries, husband works late, committees at school, laundry...who isn't tired? Apparently, me!

I was anxious about going to the oral surgeon today for my "consultation" and when I arrived I found out that I would not be having said consultation, but would be having the root canal right away. Oops, back up. Before leaving work preschool called to let me know that Emma needed to be picked up because she had had two loose "BMs." No fever...eating fine...sleeping...but loose BMs. That is what they call it. We prefer icky poopies in our house. Anyway...seriously. I can't just go to the oral surgeon without needing to go get Emma too????? Why???

All of this is happening, and I stop. I remember. I have my husband and my children. We have our family. We have our health. We have our jobs. This is the small stuff. Why do we so quickly forget that life is too short to worry about these things? Life is too short!!!! It of course all worked out~I got the root canal, picked up the kids and had a cozy night with both of them.

The funny part...I picked up my sleeping pills at the pharmacy, read through the info brochure on them...one of the side effects? Anxiety! Seriously?

I have had lots of time to pray lately. Pray for my student and his family. Pray while I am having a root canal. Praying in the car after taking the kids to preschool that they will have a good day. Praying that I will get some sleep. Praying that I will get the ultrasound done and everything will be okay. I cannot even begin to fathom if it is not. Praying that I will calm down and not sweat the small stuff. Praying how thankful I am for the wonderful life I have.

Dylan and Emma sing this wonderful song around the house. They sing it every Wednesday in chapel at preschool. This is my favorite line:

"Thank you God for who I am, I don't have to be a superman."

That says it all!

~Liz

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Praying for anxieties to be calmed, sleep to come, teeth to be healed, breast to be normal and kids to be healthy. You do it all and you do it great, just remember you’re not alone. Love you Liz!

Meredith said...

Oh Liz! I'm praying for you too! Love you!

Post a Comment